3D models for OpenGl

Started by
11 comments, last by JoelPat 21 years ago
Hi, I''m looking for software that will help create 3D models for OpenGL, such as 3D enemy ships, 3D rocks, etc..... for a space game I''m starting on. Mostly for objects that aren''t real complex but would take too long to do manually. Any help appreciated.
Advertisement
You can use any 3D model you want in OpenGL, you only need how to read it. There are many tutorials for loading MD2, MD3, ASE..., just try in google.

The other way is make your own 3D format, writing a Script or Plugin for Max or other 3D modeling program.

For making this models you can use any 3d model software you want.

Blender is a freeware tool but I little bit complicated I think.
The best option I think is 3dsMax or LightWave.

Milkshape is another option...
I would NOT recommend 3D Studio Max, or Lightwave to anyone who doesn''t know how to make a 3D model for drawing in OpenGL ... that''s like telling someone who is learning to drive to go buy a Ferrari ... they''ll kill themselves ... and their wallet.

Note - those are great programs .. but they cost THOUSANDS of dollars ...

To START learning, you can download various quake model editors ... or Milkshape 3D ... or AC3D

then when you have tried a tool are two, and understand the connection between file formats, and loading in OpenGL ... you may want to actually buy a decent tool (note that Milkshape is decent) ... if you are real artsy (not science and precision oriented), you might like TrueSpace ... but it is a little less standard and supported then the big guns ...

Note Also - look into NeHe''s tutorials on loading 3D file formats, they are the best starting place
ogl2k: About blender - I have been messing around with it for a while, and i''m even starting to get used to the weirdass interface, but is there a way to get the models you make in blender into a readable file format, cause the .blend format seems rather obscure and i read somewhere it is liable to change between versions too.

Marijn
ok
you want a file format

your either get the max sdk to develop an plugin which isn t that easy as it look because the sdk is a rather bad documentation
all it does is describing how to setup mvc++ to create plugin projects
and what the 1000s of classes provided by the SDK do but no clear explanation of how to start accessing the geometry

the easier method would be reading the .3ds format

there are tons of chunk ids which like rather cryptic but there are txt files out there which describe the format pretty well

with sizes of each chunk and so on

look at "wotsit" <- link can be found on the main page
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
Milkshape is a good choice:
- Aimed for medium to low poly objects
- Understandable interface
- Loads/saves loads of formats (inc. lots of game related ones)
- Theres a 30-day evaluation avalible, and it only costs $20
- Does animation as well when you get onto it..
If you want to use blender you can use Python to write export scripts.

Check out
http://www.janw.gothere.uk.com/
for some documentation.

You should be able to find some pre-written export scripts for some of the major 3d file types if you do a search. I actually wrote a script that would export to my own easly readable file format.

Kars
KarsQ: What do you get if you cross a tsetse fly with a mountain climber?A: Nothing. You can't cross a vector with a scalar.
I second the vote for Blender. It''s more powerful then Milkshape, cheaper the Milkshape, and has a huge user base who can help you find almost any sort of script out there so modelers with no Python knowledge can still use the scripting options.
I didn´t say that MAX or LightWave are cheapers programs. I work with Max and MaxScript, I have my own file format and I read it with OpenGL without problems.

I agree with the option of MilkShape. I began working with it and I like it very much, but I found that make a MaxScript and your own file format is more easy than start reading a 3ds file for example( I hate the 3ds file format, sorry )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement