Naming Games

Started by
19 comments, last by Kryten4000 20 years, 12 months ago
How do you guys decide on a name for your game? Do yo use marketing techniques like "Space Xtreme"? Or make it sound like a popular game "Shooper Mart-eo Mothers"? Or base it on another game "Fake Competition"? Or random word thrown together "Might Leaves Password blank field"? I would like to know cause I can''t think of a name for my game.
Advertisement
I usually look for words that has something to do with the game that sound awesome.
An old project, rts with focus on tanks, was called "treaded empire". Another one with focus on killing and destruction was named Tanathos, meaning the destructive force within a human being. Like opposed to eros, the loving force.
I think about the main idea of the game, and go from there.
I think of a quote from the game, think of what the game is about, and then choose the most relevant quote.

--------------------------------------------
Optimus Prime: Private Investigator!

Oscar Mike Foxtrot Golf! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"
Well Mr Saturn, if that IS your real name...
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Call it FKS! Simple as this!
Personally, I love Terry Pratchett''s naming of games.
Anyone know where to find the rules of Cripple Mr Onion ?

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
I usually pick short names for my games, but I have no rule in naming them, just what the game is all about, that''s gonna be the name of the game.

Current project: 2D in Direct3D engine.
% completed: ~20%
I think about the themes and major tropes of the game, but I also try to think of a name that makes people wonder exactly what I''m referring to, that stirs up their imaginations. Take _Gimmie Those Wings!_ for example. Well, obviously somebody wants wings. Who wants what kind of wings? Why and how? Or take _Follow My Leader_. Does this refer to the childrens'' name of the same name, or some kind of military command structure, or maybe it''s a pied-piper story? Who is the leader, why do they specifically belong to the follower, and why should we follow them where?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

If you already have main characters, locations, races, objects, events and concepts planned out for your game, you can name it after one of them (e.g. ''Romeo and Juliet'', ''The Matrix''). Try to reflect the genre and strong points of the game (''Command & Conquer'') or hint towards what you might do in it (''Grand Theft Auto'').
I try to find a single powerful word that describes the game in more ways than one. For instance, "Veil" is the name of a fantasy project I''ve been working on since ''98. I''ve also used suched names as "Dualis", "Purgatory, "Steel". Once in a while I''ll pick a name with multiple words, but I try to keep it short: "The Alien Song".

In general, you should choose a name at the beginning of your project so you have something to work with when you talk to people about it. By the end of the project, you''ll probably come up with something better.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement