Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vertex Shaders and Shader programming

This topic is 5378 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am attempting to learn vertex shader programming and I''m having problems. I have a book which whilst excellant, is in DX8.1 and I cannot find any resources with tutorials (simple) anywhere. I''m having problems converting the code from DX8.1 to DX9 whilst learning the actual vertex shader programming. It would be ten times easier if the stuff I was learning from was in DX9 to begin with, if you catch my drift. Wondering how everyone else manages as there are very few DX9 tutorials about. Do you just convert the DX8.1 code or what, how can I go about this? Any help, pointer''s, hint''s, tips''s really appreciated. Thanks, Pk

It''d also be 10 times easier if you just used DX8.1 interfaces with the DX9 runtime!

Remember, you can still use DX8.1 D3D interfaces under DX9 without needing to *any* "conversion", each new DX version is fully backwards compatible, you could even use DX3 D3D interfaces if you wanted to.

View learning shaders with your 8.1 centric book and learning DX9 as separate tasks.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx is the place to go for the latest official tutorials.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Basically, I used the Real-Timer Rendering in Direct3D book by Kelly Dempski. I took the code and converted it to DX9. By using the DirectX SDK docs and sample programs I was able to work through it and figure it out for myself. If this is the book you are using, let me know and I can send you the base code converted to DX9.

-dizzy