• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forgotten

Could some one answer a few questions?

This topic is 5687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. . . i have C++ for dummies and am not te far into it. . . and im starting to think this is EXTREAMLY hard. . . could some one tell me if this gets any easyer? or am i doing this wrong? is there an easyer way? i dont mean to sound lik a whiner but ive read chapters 1-4 6 times each and cannot get the hang of it! am i just an idiot? im starting to think im not smart enough for this. any way, thanks in advance... Forgotten. [edited by - Forgotten on March 26, 2003 10:27:57 AM]

Advertisement
I haven't read it, but perhaps you should practice everything in a chapter until you feel you have a good understanding of it before you move on to the next.

[edited by - smart_idiot on March 26, 2003 10:35:13 AM]

hehe, I use that book too, I love it, it''s funny and the language is easy enough, ok, now here is the trick.

First of all, for each bloody sentance you read, stay concentrated, concentrate on what''s in there.
Read each line, think it over, and explain to yourself, EXACTLY what it is.

If there''s a line or two you don''t understand, this is mostly because of the confusing words, I have to admit it''s a bit confusing with lines like:

The "second function that only has one argument accumulates the value of double x"

If it''s the words in general, get one of those books that explain what words mean, or, if you''re staying stuck, you could add me to your msn or send me an email at "www.loppemann.com"

I can help you through those first chapters, but that''s about as far as it goes.

are you doing the examples?
If you are then, what you need to do is play around with them a bit, say for example, they are having a program add 2 numbers and display the results.. well try changing that code a bit and see what it does..

I don''t know what they are covering in the first 4 chapters, but I''d guess they have something that you could play around with, thats the best way to learn programming I find, if you have something that works, change it and hopefully it still works..

Please visit Turt99 Productions

that makes sense. . .
the only thing i find wrong with this book is i cant put what i learn to any use yet, i am dislecsic, i have some trouble holding on to what ive learned unless ive used it (no im not a retard). is there any web sites where i can get simple program code that i can write for free, that might work....

Forgotten.

i cant find any examples, i think thats my problem.....

Thank you every one.... Not to sound like a weirdo but, you guys (and girls) ROCK! god this site rules.

[edited by - Forgotten on March 26, 2003 10:42:04 AM]

no, you''re not stupid....

try other books then, don''t be discouraged because the title says it''s for ''dummies'' means that if you cannot understand it you''re worse than a dummy....

btw: is this your first time learning a programming language? if so, then it''s ok if you don''t grasp the idea of programming yet. the trick is to keep on asking...a lot of people here are glad to help in answering your questions...

nomad | nomad forum

Yes, it is hard to understand it if you don''t use it. It''s a good idea to be infront of your IDE while you read your book so you can try things as you come to them.

Here''s an increasingly unpopular opinion (it seems) around here: C++ is not a good beginner''s programming language. This isn''t mere opinion; the amount of infrastructure overhead of the language is high. The syntax is elegant and uncluttered, but by no means intuitive. C++ requires a significant change in thinking to grasp; a language that more closely reflects the way most people think about structured/sequential events is a better option.

My suggestion? Start with Python. For one thing, the language has zero infrastructural overhead (no need for entry-point functions and the like, just start coding) and a significant part of the beginner-level functionality is built-in (no need to #include or import to gain access to output routines, for example). Second, Python scales from beginner to expert, making simple things really simple and tough things accessible. And I''m not the only one who thinks so.

Most importantly, for a beginner interested in game development, Python (coupled with PyGame and/or pyOpenGL) lets you rapidly obtain visible results, which can go a long way to bolstering your confidence.

Once you''ve learned Python - and then only if you still feel it useful/necessary for your goals - learn C++ and see how much more easily you''ll pick it up. In fact, you may be frustrated by C++''s lack of certain features that you would have grown accustomed to in Python (like reflection).

Either way, keep at it and good luck!

No thanks, i have my mind set on C++, thank you for your opinion though....
the people on this board have help me alot.... i think i can pull through.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!