bsp /octrees

Started by
11 comments, last by gorvelius 21 years ago
are there any books that deal with these subjects that have working source code and a good explanation, the reason im asking this is because i live in australia and the books are pretty limited here or other wise i would just go to a book store and look inside the books, but blindly buying a book its just not worth it because the dollar here is worth half the american dollar which means twice the price i looked at the gems books and they seem to have what i want can anyone confirm this for me. thanks
Advertisement
there are some good tutorials on flipcode.com, gametutorials.com, and throughout the internet.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
i would still like to get a book on the subject
i have looked at those tutorials the octree tutorial
at gametutorials you have to buy the cd to get octree3
and i cant really find any thing decent on bsps and beleve my
i have a looked
thanks anyway
well, then. there are no books sole devoted to spacial subdivision because it''s really not that big of a topic. (or at least not enough to fill an entire book.) I would recomend 3D Game Engine Design. there are also some good articles in Game Programming Gems I. 3D Game Engine Design is probably your best bet though.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
BSPs are kinda antiquated for todays modern hardware, if you''re using them to subdivinde geometry
*st0ned*
thanks i will look into it
does gems have code exaplpes or just an explanation
anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated
so what would you suggest Hairybudda
quote:Original post by gorvelius
so what would you suggest Hairybudda

Just look straight into Quad/Octrees. BSP for space partitioning was only good for when drawing a polygon came with a high performance penalty. Todays hardware is a lot better.
*st0ned*
ok thanks Hairybudda for the tip ill do that
Once you have your head around the concept of how a tree works and why you actually have to partition space, take a look into ABT treet. That''ll educate you good.
*st0ned*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement