Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DPNID_ALL_PLAYERS_GROUP?

This topic is 5374 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Which is the fastest? calling sendTo with DPNID_ALL_PLAYERS_GROUP (which sends the message to all clients, even the one that originally sent it to the server) or sending the message seperatly to every client (but not to the client that originally sent it to the server) Hope you understand my question... /lazy

You should post this into the networking section...

I''d think that all players group would be fastest, since DirectPlay offers this facility... It probably means less overhead internally and may optimize the networking packets maybe...

Good question, but it seems a little unnecessary to be concerned with, since networking is many times slower than the overhead it takes to call a few functions...

www.cppnow.com

quote:
Original post by Lazy303

Which is the fastest?
calling sendTo with DPNID_ALL_PLAYERS_GROUP
(which sends the message to all clients, even the
one that originally sent it to the server)

or sending the message seperatly to every client
(but not to the client that originally sent it to
the server)

Hope you understand my question...

/lazy

Although I have never considered sending msgs separately to all players, I can''t see how doing this would be faster than one call with DPNID_ALL_PLAYERS_GROUP. Your talking about one function call v. a function call for each player. Just make sure to set the DPNSEND_NOLOOPBACK flag in the dwFlags parameter of the SendTo call if you don''t want to worry about the msg being sent to the original sender...

Mage

Guest Anonymous Poster
Is there an easy way of sending to all players except the sender?

Put the flag DPN_NOLOOPBACK flag into the flags parameter of send/sendto.

Read the API for more info, I cannot remember what the exact flag is, but I know NOLOOPBACK is within it.

www.cppnow.com