The Round Table Rough Cut Bootleg

Started by
2 comments, last by fup 21 years ago
Listened to 2/3rds of it last night. It was interesting, even if was about RTS games . Unfortunately some of the voices were a little obscured by background noise but overall it''s pretty good. Many thanks to Dave for recording the session. I hope you do the same again next year. There was a guy early on in the recording who mentioned something about developing a sort of intelligence quotient for computer game AI (like chess ratings). He then went on to explain why he wanted to do this. It sounded very original but it was difficult to follow the thread of the short discussion which followed. Can anyone present at that roundtable remember what was said? nb. Dave, I noticed about midway, that the audio did actually work in stereo - you may have a dodgy mike or something.
ai-junkie.com
Advertisement
The chess guy was very bizarre. I am not entirely sure what he wanted. I believe he wanted to be able to map the chess ratings over onto difficulty settings so that he could pit two computer players of selected ratings against each other. Why that specifically needed to be mapped to chess ratings, I don''t know. That''s the only arbitrary part of the process. *shrug*

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm - "Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

I got the impression (and my imagination could be making most of this up!) that he wanted to be able to assign a specific ''amount'' of IQ to a game agent so he could create a game (an RTS type game) where the player had to manage the AI of his team in some way - the AI would be another resource to juggle.

This, on the surface, sounded like quite an interesting concept and could possibly introduce some novel gameplay. Conundrums like shall I go for 5 village idiots and a genius or play it safe with 6 middle-of-the-road types?

ai-junkie.com
Hey Tazzel3D:

Is the MP3 still on your site? I got an email from a guy in Argentina that he couldn''t get to it last night....

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado
GameAI.Com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement