• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

worms

Creating a small server..

This topic is 5655 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What would be the best way to create a small server? (<50 clients) Functions: Listen for incomming connections on port Read incomming data from clients Write data to other clients Broadcasting all recived info to the other clients to put it simple, after verifying its valid. asynchronous sockets is not an option as it has to be linux-portable. What would be the best way? threads? (TCP) [edited by - worms on March 30, 2003 10:07:02 AM]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Forget about Dre err.. about threads.
Use select() instead.

Yeah, iv gotten the same answer quite a few places, but got any info on select()?, havnt touched it :|

small tutorial perhaps?

Excuse my ignorance but I''ve got to ask why client server if you are having less than 50 players and you are just going to pass the data to all the cients anyways? Wouldnt P2P be way easier? Then for save games you could implement a character save.

Unless you are talking a persistant world or you are truely concerned about hacking the datastream

Jsut a thought.

Mark

Fly by night Studios
C++ Coders needed

quote:
Original post by Slyxsith
Wouldnt P2P be way easier?

a 50 user p2p? i don''t know about you but that would kill my windows 98

but i don''t need any help no more
iv gotten all i need.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!