Creating a small server..

Started by
3 comments, last by worms 21 years ago
What would be the best way to create a small server? (<50 clients) Functions: Listen for incomming connections on port Read incomming data from clients Write data to other clients Broadcasting all recived info to the other clients to put it simple, after verifying its valid. asynchronous sockets is not an option as it has to be linux-portable. What would be the best way? threads? (TCP) [edited by - worms on March 30, 2003 10:07:02 AM]
Advertisement
Forget about Dre err.. about threads.
Use select() instead.
Yeah, iv gotten the same answer quite a few places, but got any info on select()?, havnt touched it :|

small tutorial perhaps?
Excuse my ignorance but I''ve got to ask why client server if you are having less than 50 players and you are just going to pass the data to all the cients anyways? Wouldnt P2P be way easier? Then for save games you could implement a character save.

Unless you are talking a persistant world or you are truely concerned about hacking the datastream

Jsut a thought.

Mark

Fly by night Studios
C++ Coders needed

Mark MacPherson
Flybynight Studios: Owner
Current Skillsets: Project Manager - Team Lead - Scripter - 2D Artwork - Basic 3D Modeller - Web Development - Marketing - Administration

quote:Original post by Slyxsith
Wouldnt P2P be way easier?

a 50 user p2p? i don''t know about you but that would kill my windows 98

but i don''t need any help no more
iv gotten all i need.

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement