creating my own 3d model type...

Started by
8 comments, last by FreJa 21 years ago
Hi, I''m thinking on creating my own 3d model type, does anyone know where I can find an article or a tutorial giving an example of how to do so? Thanks a lot...
"Through me the road to the city of desolation,Through me the road to sorrows diuturnal,Through me the road among the lost creation."
Advertisement
well, it''s not that hard. maybe you could look at other formats to get some ideas about what works for you and what doesn''t.

My Homepage
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Ok, good idea.
First of all you should to design it structure: what do yo need (vertices, normals, lights, texture referencec) and what not (super puper skeletal animation)
After then you should find a way to store all this information in the file. The best way I know is to write your own plugin for 3D Studio MAX. It is not very hard. Firs see article on gamasutra (it is introdution) and the discover AsciiExport plugin source wich avaible in /samples/impexp directory of your maxsdk. When export techniques become clean in your mind - write your own plugin for exporting your own models.
The guys are right.It''s not that hard to write your own model format.For example me and the other engine developing guys has finished developing the CLS(Crime Life Simple) model format.But be advised to include optimized data that you will need.Stuff that are not use or that must be converted must not be in there.A basic structure of a model file cound be something like:

-Simple header(BYTE id = 20)
-num_meshes
-mesh data
-num_textures
-texture data

not very hard.

The PAIN is coming...this summer!!!In cinemas everywhere.
please don''t crosspost (on flipcode)

My Site
Why shouldn't I?

[edited by - FreJa on March 30, 2003 3:35:57 PM]
"Through me the road to the city of desolation,Through me the road to sorrows diuturnal,Through me the road among the lost creation."
http://gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=126359

My Site
quote:Original post by quasar3d
please don''t crosspost (on flipcode)
http://gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=126359

That thread has nothing to do with cross posting between GameDev and Flipcode. It is only about crossposting on the GameDev forums themselves. There is nothing wrong with crossposting to both Flipcode and GameDev, as they are both different sites, run by different people, with different (but overlapping) crowds.

The Tyr project is here.
The Tyr project is here.
Why don''t I have maxsdk? Is it something complementary that I have to download separately, or does it come with 3ds Max (4.2 in my case) ?

Thanks
Forget it... already found it in the cd...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement