• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ssjeci

cutscenes

This topic is 5657 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
They are the scenes at certain points in games where the player loses all control, as it is typically very movielike and some part of the plot/action unfolds. They really exist only to further storyline I believe.

[edited by - ChildOfKordova on October 11, 2017 10:32:23 AM]
weird

Cutscenes is really what destroys a game. If the user wanted to watch 3 hours of cutscenes, he would of watched Braveheart. The user wants games, and seats with beverage holders, but MOST GAMES! The best game = no story line + full blast fps + id revolutionizing graphics + fast computer.

We must defeat the trolls!
Argh, we ARE the trolls!

Yes, I concur. Invisible troll union''s formula for the best game is a global truth across all time and space and surely isn''t dependent upon his own personal opinions.

RapscallionGL - arriving soon.

Skippable cut scenes are also good, pressing space or something else would skip the cut scene and begin the action again.

Update GameDev.net system time campaign - success at last

Guest Anonymous Poster
Cutscenes are pivotal to many really good games out there. They help immerse the player into a story and help add the overall gameplay. Granted, there are plenty of games that could do without these scenes as they are either incredibly poor or just doesn''t fit into the game. But, that is more the fault of bad planning to begin with than anything else. Also, those who dislikes these scenes tend to be between 14-25 and like quake series, doom, unreal etc and have little or no patience to actually enjoy a good story. No pun intended, those just have a different taste than those who actually do like seeing a good cutscene to further the story. So, don''t think that cutscenes destroy a game, it is up to the gamer to evaluate and of course how well the game is made.

Cut scenes can be really awesome if done correctly like in Final Fantasy (a game that wouldn''t be itself without cutscenes). Also, they can very dramatically in different styles like in Zelda (world''s greatest game series). Or they can contain any type of emotion such as Conker''s Bad Fur Day and there great take on comedy.

However, they can ruin a game if that is the only thing the game relies on. Always put gameplay, story-line, and all of the small things first before the cut-scenes.

P.S.
Hi, I''m new here. Plus, I''m 16 and I appreciate a good cut-scene here and there.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!