• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goatfuzz

When did you start?

This topic is 5560 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m currently 16 and wondering when it would get to be too late to start out in the gaming industry. I''m in an odd position since I can''t really do anything to get started due to my lack of money. Any optimistic advice, please? P.S. -What is a sprite?

Advertisement
You don''t need much money, except for books. Free compilers, game-related libraries, and art resources abound.

Free compiler: MinGW, with Dev-C++ (assuming you want C++; there are plenty of free compilers for other languages too)
Free libraries: Anything and everything you could want (DirectX, SDL, OpenGL, Allegro, and tons of less well-known helper libraries)
Art stuff: The GIMP, Milkshape 3D isn''t free but it''s very very cheap.

This site has plenty of free tutorials and stuff, but you will get best results from books. Unfortunately, they''re like $50 each.

Also, you''re not too old. Nobody''s too old.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You can get the GIMP from http://www.gimp.org .

quote:
Original post by Goatfuzz
I'm currently 16 and wondering when it would get to be too late to start out in the gaming industry.

Yes. If you're older than 15.5 years, all attempts will fail miserably because... hmmm... just because. Your life is already over. Deal with it and get a job flipping burgers.

Seriously, I can't believe how often this question is asked. Why would it be too late? Can you please tell us one single semi-plausible reason? Don't tell me you're one of those poor misguided kids who think the brain automatically starts to fossilize on your 18th birthday?

EDIT - Hmm, that sounded more harch than I meant. Sorry. My point stands though. Your question would be reasonable if you were 61 years old. But 16? Sheesh...

[edited by - Wowbagger on March 31, 2003 8:24:19 AM]

I didn''t get a job in the industry until after I was 30. Hopefully that''ll make you feel a little better.

Mid life career switches are common throughout every industry. In the words of another, "It''s never too late to start over."

I don''t work in the games industry but I work as a programmer. I find myself attracted to creating a game because I''d like to help others enjoy themselves; to give them an opportunity to immerse themselves in something that allows them to forget reality for a short while.

Maybe someday I''ll actually do something about it.

i didnt start programming until i was 17 and didnt start games until i was 18 (im 19 now). its not too late. im in the same boat as you with the money thing. just save up and buy a good book or you can find plenty of good, free tutorials on the internet. you can also get free compilers, Dev C++ is a good one.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!