Priority Queues (heaps), STL or code it yourself?

Started by
10 comments, last by Frankie68 21 years ago
quote:Original post by marijnh
Could you elaborate on those other priority queue implementations? Or give a link or something... i'm wanna know about them!

Here's a one that I tailored for A*. The priority values can only be integers on a specific range (0 - x, where x is feeded on constructor) and with the default template parameters it's not quaranteed to return the absolutely lowest key. It has O(1) push and O(1) pop (IIRC, std:: priority_queue has O(log N) both). But as you can see, the push requires you to feed it with a priority value. std:: priority_queue only requires the elements to be comparable with each other.

It doesn't yet have very interesting constructors, I'll add those later.

template <typename T,          class PriorityContainer = std::stack<T>,          class BucketContainer = std::vector<PriorityContainer> >class bucket_pqueue {public:	typedef PriorityContainer priority_container_type;	typedef BucketContainer bucket_container_type;	typedef typename priority_container_type::value_type value_type;	typedef typename priority_container_type::size_type priority_type;	typedef size_t size_type;	explicit bucket_pqueue(int buckets)		: m_buckets(buckets), m_elements(0), m_minBucket(buckets) {}	bool empty() const {		return m_elements == 0;	}	size_type size() const {		return m_elements;	}		void push(const value_type& value, priority_type priority) {		m_buckets[priority].push(value);		if (priority < m_minBucket) m_minBucket = priority;		m_elements++;	}	const value_type& top() const {		return m_buckets[m_minBucket].top();	}		value_type& top() {		return m_buckets[m_minBucket].top();	}		void pop() {		m_buckets[m_minBucket].pop();		m_elements--;		if (m_elements == 0) {			m_minBucket = m_buckets.size();		} else {			while (m_buckets[m_minBucket].empty()) m_minBucket++;		}	}		void clear() {		while (!empty()) pop();	}	private:	bucket_container_type m_buckets;	size_type m_elements;	priority_type m_minBucket;};      

Usage:

bucket_pqueue<double> stuff(100); //100 is max prioritystuff.push(3.7, 3); //second parameter is prioritystuff.push(7.3, 10);stuff.push(5.6, 6);assert(stuff.top() == 3.7); //priority was 3stuff.pop();assert(stuff.top() == 5.6); //priority was 6stuff.pop();assert(stuff.top() == 7.3); //priority was 10stuff.pop();assert(stuff.empty());      

Very similar to std:: priority_queue, except for the push() and constructor.

Oh, and it's very fast if that's what you want to know .

[edited by - civguy on April 2, 2003 1:12:20 PM]
Advertisement
I see! Has some limitations if you need fine-grain priorities - But i guess for A* this is about as fast as you can get and the integer priorities should not be too much of a prob.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement