Beating the Dead Horse

Started by
3 comments, last by Calaf 21 years ago
Afternoon to you all! As you can read by the title, yes, I''m going to beat the dead horse by asking about an MMORPG idea. I''ve read all the threads about how hard it is, what I need to make one, and that I shouldn''t just jump on the MMORPG bandwagon without a number of single-player games under my belt. I''m an overachiever and well, I won''t plan on this becoming anywhere near a reality, but just for the heck of it, and wanting experience making design documents and such. I''d like to know if anyone has tried to create an MMORPG based on Greek Mythology. Its perfect for such a genre, at least from what I see. Gods by the hundreds, easily used as NPC''s and MOBS, a bestiary larger than many games and so many artifacts that could easily be turned into well, artifacts! I want to know is that if (as in 99.9999% chance this won''t) this goes anywhere near alpha, it hasn''t already been done, because I really don''t want to copy anyone. I''m in it for the experience of putting together a game, not to get famous and make millions. If we only get to the design document phase, great! If we get to an alpha 15 months from now, even better! I''ve read plenty of books on the game business and game design so I know what goes into making a successful game, something a bit more than a couple of people can do, so I''d love input, thanks! Tyler ''Calaf'' Roehmholdt The tradition of all the dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living. - Karl Marx
Tyler 'Calaf' RoehmholdtThe tradition of all the dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living. - Karl Marx
Advertisement
Well, it''s bound to have been done on some scale, somewhere. There are thousands of text MUD''s, for example, so a few of them are no doubt based on Greek Mythology to a lesser or greater extent. Are MUD''s MMORPG''s? I don''t know, I guess they are.

In any case, don''t panic if you find a few not very major MMORPG''s based on the same idea as yours, there''s bound to be something close (I''m not aware of any, but then I''m only aware of about three of the big ones, so that''s not saying much).

Apart from that, I''m sorry, I''m going to have to say it. You may be an overachiever, but you''re not a team of 40 experienced overachievers, so drop the ''MMO''. Design and make a single-player RPG, this is a far more realistic goal by a factor of many times. Call it a prototype if you like (for you shall learn much, and you will want to change many many things when you come to make a second attempt).
Haha, I totally agree I'm not 40 professionals...I'd just like to make the design doc really, nothing more...I suppose thats what I meant when I was refering to overachieving. Not that I wanted to just go for it, but rather just make this design doc for the heck of it. *shrug* Oh well...

Tyler 'Calaf' Roehmholdt

The tradition of all the dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living. - Karl Marx

PS: Is it difficult to make 1st person style (a la Thief) adventure games nowadays or is it best to do a progression from sprite-style --> isometric --> First person? I have a separate idea that would use such a camera angle.

[edited by - Calaf on March 30, 2003 8:11:57 PM]
Tyler 'Calaf' RoehmholdtThe tradition of all the dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living. - Karl Marx
If you''ve done nothing else, start console-text. Trust me.

[edited by - ChildOfKordova on October 11, 2017 10:32:23 AM]
weird
quote:Original post by Calaf
Gods by the hundreds, easily used as NPC's and MOBS

I thought that would be an awful waste of good gods... I mean, any halfway decent MMOG can come up with 700 mobs, but if you used greek mythology, you'd have, as you say, gods by the hundreds. Why not use them to create an entire new layer of the game? Equip each god with an ai and some tools to let the devs live team control them, and make the gods compete with each others, using players to slug it out. You could have gods offering blessings to players in return for fighting everyone who follows a competing god. Rich players could place offerings to their gods, strengthening them and giving them the power to throw a few extra thunderbolts at your enemies.

Smaller gods might have to ally with each others, bringing various groups of players together, and if they then start fighting each others? Well, the gods in question would have to start fighting too...

I think there's a lot more potential in a mythology like that, than just using them for mobs, and letting people loot mythological items....

Edit: As everyone else has already said, forget about ever actually making this game... At least within the next 10 years... It's not a question of being an overachiever, but to pull it off, you'd have to be an overachiever with 8-10 million $to pay for development, serious programming experience, and the ability to work 200-500 hours a day (assuming you're the only one working on it ) But that wasn't really the point of this thread, so never mind

---------
Life is like a grapefruit. It's sort of orangy-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle. It's got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half a one for breakfast

[edited by - Spoonster on March 31, 2003 5:03:56 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement