• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pixel_Sticks

Given to todays computers what are the limitations of VB and DX?

This topic is 5734 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just curious, I want to learn VB for fun but I also dont want to waste my time. Are there still major limitations with VB given todays processor speeds and overall computer speeds? Thanks

Advertisement
VB6 or VB.net?

Depends on what you want to do, too. You''re not going to write Doom4 in either langauge, but they''re probably both fast and good enough for small projects.

Well i have access to vb 6 which is what I will be using for now but I am saving for the .NET platform. Why do you ask? Is there a big performace difference?

What interest me is 3d of course, along with first person shooters and terrain engines.

VB isn''t recommended for any games, it''s slow, much slower than C/C++. I''d save up for Visual C++ 6.0 Standard (the .NET standard lacks of a certain feature that I can''t remember at the moment X.x). C++/C is much faster, and much better for games. Although people say that DarkBASIC and BlitzBASIC are dandy, I''d still prefer C++, it''s still faster. And speed makes a smooth game, and of course there are limitations for VB, DB, and BB.

Just do yourself a favour and go for C++.

But, it is your choise

DigiCode - My solo company in progress

Remember, the "slow" means ~50% lower fps rate, not ~95%
So, if you code in C/C++, and get 100fps, in VB, probably you will get 50fps. And human eyes are still way slower than that .

Current project: 2D in Direct3D engine.
% completed: ~35%

The speed isn''t the only issue, it''s also the limitations of the language itself, I know what they are, but I''m slightly nausious and must go throw up @_@

DigiCode - My solo company in progress

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!