• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HalcyonBlaze

DLL or Static Library?

This topic is 5565 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In most programming fields, there is a LOT of setup code that you have to do. For examples, when I make OpenGL programs I have to write all the code for creating a window and what not every single time. So I was going to implement a library of classes that simplifies tasks like that. I know how to do it in a static library, but for classes in a DLL do you have to do anything? I know that functions need to have the _dllexport statement, but you can't declare that for classes. I don't really want the user to be manually loading the contents of the dll at runtime. I just want them to link to it during compile time. That way it would act like a static library, but would be much easier to ugrade (just have to replace one file). Also, either way i go (DLL or LIB), I'm not sure how to organize it. Should I have ALL the classes defined in one huge header file, or should i have seperate ones? If i have the huge header file, it would be hard to find certain classes and for me to place classes as the list grows long. But with seperate files, it is much neater and organized, but a LOT of header files. Edit: Just wanted to point out my two questions: -> DLL or Static LIB? -> One header files or many small header files? I appreciate all the replies. - Halcyon [edited by - HalcyonBlaze on March 30, 2003 9:04:42 PM]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Have you heard of GLUT? It is an OpenGL library that already does what you are trying to do (set up window, etc.). Unless you just want the experience of writing a library, check it out.

Yup, I''ve heard of GLUT, but I prefer to use Win32. I plan on writing a lot of other classes such as abstractions for Bitmaps, JPEGs, TGAs, Lights, etc. Just classes to encapsulate the basic setup code for a lot of things (not just windows code).

- Halcyon

Thanks for your comments!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!