Graphics programming, where to start?

Started by
3 comments, last by -BioWolf- 21 years ago
I am new to programming. I have tried to teach my self C++ using books and I would say I have a pretty good understanding of itright now, but I would like to get in to some graphics programming with Open GL or Direct X. I was just wondering if you could tell me which would be better for me tostart with and where i can get good information on it so I can learn it. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Advertisement
Check out the Articles & Resources, I know there''s an article about the two in there somewhere.
i personally find OpenGL is a lot easier to learn than DirectX.
Also use a windowing API like GLUT
, so you don''t have to mess around with win32.
I would also recommend opengl, but everyone has a favorite, so there is no "best" one.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
I think (though i haven''t used recent versions of DX) that you can get simple objects on the screen with openGL and glut with less code than any other methods. glut has limitations and you''ll be better off using something else for large projects, but in the begining it takes a lot of the confusion of win32 stuff off you and lets you concentrate on the graphics. This is very subjective, though, and innocent questions like yours have sparked many a flame war on this forum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement