• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steg

wall rendering

This topic is 5657 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Am I correct in saying that when games like quake draw the polygons for walls they actually draw four sides, front, back,left and right ? Kind regards, Steve

Advertisement
Ok, I think I know what you mean, but are the walls made from 4 faces say if for example there was nothing either side of the wall ?

When creating a level for quake you often use six sided primitives to make walls. When you compile the level, the BSP tool strips out any polys that are outside of the level and won''t be seen. So while you see six sides in the editor, the game ends up using only one.

Another example would be a six sided pillar that touches both the cieling and floor. The four sides that make up the wall of the pillar are visible and would be kept, while the top and bottom will never be seen and are thrown out.

This is the reason why your levels in quake need to be sealed and have no leaks. Otherwise the BSP tool (Actually, I think it may be the VIS tool that does this), will be unable to determine what is inside and what is out.

Thanks guys,

I guess just showing one face and example would be a line of walls at the back of a room ?

Regards,
Steve

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!