wall rendering

Started by
4 comments, last by steg 21 years ago
Hi, Am I correct in saying that when games like quake draw the polygons for walls they actually draw four sides, front, back,left and right ? Kind regards, Steve

If it isn't working, take a bath, have a think and try again...

Advertisement
depends on the map
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Ok, I think I know what you mean, but are the walls made from 4 faces say if for example there was nothing either side of the wall ?

Sometimes they use a lot a faces to improve lighting.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
When creating a level for quake you often use six sided primitives to make walls. When you compile the level, the BSP tool strips out any polys that are outside of the level and won''t be seen. So while you see six sides in the editor, the game ends up using only one.

Another example would be a six sided pillar that touches both the cieling and floor. The four sides that make up the wall of the pillar are visible and would be kept, while the top and bottom will never be seen and are thrown out.

This is the reason why your levels in quake need to be sealed and have no leaks. Otherwise the BSP tool (Actually, I think it may be the VIS tool that does this), will be unable to determine what is inside and what is out.
Thanks guys,

I guess just showing one face and example would be a line of walls at the back of a room ?

Regards,
Steve

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement