A non-violent game story ?

Started by
36 comments, last by b1llz 21 years ago
I''ve been enjoying a series of animation clips that some engineer-type guys made, that involves a simple little desklamp-shaped thing navigating 2D maps using a mouse-based, physics-driven control scheme. The "character" is a horizontal base with a two-segment shoulder-elbow appendage on top and a sharp wedge at the "hand" tip. Mouse motions wave the "arm" around, and if you do it fast enough, the momentum can move the whole device.

Complex jumps and flips are possible, as well as precise positioning using the wedge to push against the ground. The clips I have seem feature stairs, gaps, and low-friction ski jumps (very cool!). It would be a short leap to making a video game out of that, and it could be complicated with moving platforms, power-ups, items to collect, stunt bonuses etc.

Not really a first-person game, but still...
Advertisement
I was thinking of a simulated violence game. Using an FPS engine, something like laser tag, or a golf game, like some of the TFC levels that incorporate these elements.

Of course you could also go for a game that has a pasifist caught in violent situations that they must avoid the conflict because it is against their chosen nature.

Unless of course you are trying to avoid the concept of violence all together. Then I suggest a sports game, laser tag type deal, or possibly a maze, or riven myst type, where you solve puzzles, although you could still use the engine.
quote:Original post by b1llz
Ok what i actually forgot to mention is: the underlying engine is an fps game engine! It might sounds strange to build a non-violent game on a shooter engine but you see this is how some ppl demand.
Violence = no HUMAN killings + no RED blood etc.
I guess you guys are gettin my point.

cheers

On a long enough time line, the survival rate drops to zero.

Well... I guess the main character could be a Thug from the hood, or a fat Mafia boy that is armed with a Louisville Slugger... That instead of killing aliens(greenblood)... mames them by doing a deft Tonya Harding patented move to the kneecaps of all opposition.

His goal is to get to the pizza and bong at the end of every well crafted inner city level.

I picture the levesl to have burning spaceships... buildings,... green gunge... and lots of space aliens!!!

Man... thats a great game.

(Some of this is very sarcastic, and only meant to illustrate how wide your view of violence is limited to. But... this being a creative prose from the depths of my warped imagination... feel free to use any ideas in whole or part. This was started as a joke... but... i'm getting into this also....) =)

-DD

[edited by - agentidd on April 7, 2003 9:30:23 PM]
I''d like to see some good throw/catch action in a game. Maybe something like Rugby (but not violent like rugby, of course) where you and your team have to get a ball or other object to a certain point. Maybe you''re taking treasures from a pyramid, and the mummies chase the guy with the golden scarab. Your team has to hand the scarab back and forth while each member applies his specialized skill to help you escape the maze. Like The Lost Vikings, but with mummies and an FPS format.
When ya need to think about non-violence.... look to the classics. Spelunker/Pitfall first came to mind. Not sure if anyone remebers this OLD nintendo and commodore game. Pretty sure there was no violence in it... Just a lonely guy running through a cave dodging bats etc....to get treasure and artifacts. ANd another one jumping barrels and aligators.

You can do something like this... but you probally run into the "Lara Croft" kinda game. But all in all.. would be really cool if done well. This could be to include puzzles... swinging from vines... cielings.

A game that lacks in the normal rants and killings. May need to try to help compensate for public opinion for going for extra pretty graphics and design.A game like this cant rely on the quick pick me up for a quick kill/cheap thrill.(Grand theft auto, any other 1st person shooter)

Design would be extremely crucial... but... i can picture a well crafted game bound to your constraints. Good luck. Please pardon my initial sarcastic post. Long day. I've pondered your question all day at work. This idea i liked the best. Good luck.

-DD

[edited by - agentidd on April 9, 2003 1:20:08 AM]
Hmmm... Seen postings containing Lucas Arts. *drule*
Yeah MI rocked! Day of the tentacle was pretty ok too.
But dont forget LOOM... People always seem to miss that one.
LOOM wasnt violent
Hum...I think finding a good game idea and growing it up having in mind you don''t want violence is better thant making no violence the main interesting thing in your game.
You should find a good game idea before thinking to make it no violent.
non violent and entertaining?

NEKKID CHICS!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement