3D RTS

Started by
4 comments, last by Julius 21 years ago
my question is about a 3d rts gaI am thinking about creating a RTS game similar to warcraft 3, but i am worried abouthow well it will run on less powerful video card. For instance, when i am playing warcraft 3 and there are a lot of units in one space the game lags, especially in multiplayer even though i have all my settings to low. Is there something i can do to make it run better? Even if I do decide to make my game to be only playable by more powerful computers, i wont be able to test it myself..any ideas/advice?
Advertisement
Have you EVER programmed anything before?

--------------------------------------------
Optimus Prime: Private Investigator!

Oscar Mike Foxtrot Golf! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"
Well Mr Saturn, if that IS your real name...
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
well, if you sit down today and start programming an excact clone of Warcraft3, chances are that it you''ll have the game finished in, say 15 years or so, so i think everyone will have a nice graphics card and good network connection then.

about the performance problems, put in some option to change to a lower screen resolution, lo-res models, smaller textures, limited number of players in network game, and so on. that''s the best thing you can do.
Yeah, I can''t see how they got Warcraft 3 to run so slow . Must not use very efficient occlusion culling. Especially in multiplayer, where they don''t have to do most of the AI!! I mean, sure it has pretty graphics and stuff, but, I think they should either have slightly less detailed models, or figure out a way to optomize the rendering a bit more.

Anyways, it''s is VERY possible to get a similar game to run on lower end hardware if you write the engine properly, and use models with the amount of detail the card can handle.
be clever. +) muahahaha
Come on let''s start coding Worldcraft 3 alone!!!!
see ya in 15 years!
Now on to the more serious answers
Get involved in Freecraft, an opensource RTS engine:
http://freecraft.net/

"To infinity and beyond"
"To infinity and beyond"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement