So many languages >_<

Started by
3 comments, last by Drevay 21 years ago
Yes, I'm learning C++, but when I get so far, I think, 'gee, what about Python, Perl, Pascal, Delphi, C, C#, A+, D, so many!'. And of course that's only a few languages in the very many hundreds there are. I just need some advice on how to keep track on my studies with C++. I want to do DirectX/OpenGL programming_NOW_but of course I must know the basics before I can do the complicated. My problem is I'm just a very impatient person, then sometimes I quit for a while, then pick it up, then quit etc... This isn't a good way to learn I know. Any help? DigiCode - My solo company in progress [edited by - Drevay on March 31, 2003 1:08:11 PM]
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
Advertisement
1. Learn how to be patient

quote:Original post by Drevay
And of course that''s only a few languages in the very many hundreds there are. I just need some advice on how to keep track on my studies with C++. I want to do DirectX/OpenGL programming_NOW_but of course I must know the basics before I can do the complicated.

2. If you want to do DirectX/OpenGL programming, learn either C, C++, VB, Pascal (Delphi), or C#.
3. Screw other languages, you don''t have to know all of them. Don''t ever try to know all of them in a short period of time.

Current project: 2D in Direct3D engine.
% completed: ~35%
You know I''ve done the same thing. All I can say is what I am trying to do now....focus on one language and become comfortable with it.

If you keep on jumping around then 2 years from now you will still be jumping from book to book and still know nothing. Or even worse...have nothing to show for your learned skill(s).
Very good points, thanks guys

I think I''ll stick with C++ - for the amount of resources, it''s speed, and the ''feeling'' it gives me to code in C++

DigiCode - My solo company in progress
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
yeah c++ is a good foundation, it makes learning other languages a snap. ( Man I can''t stand c# or java though!!! please no one flame me)
www.autodefrost.com/~travisSignature Virus cleaned by McAfee

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement