• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Samith

learning AI?

This topic is 5651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

for a while i have thought that it would be a cool thing to program a little demo that has two stick figures fight eachother. I wanted it to have the stick figures fight for themselves, no animation on my part. I want them to learn good moves that do a lot of damage on the other stick figure. I don''t have any idea how to do this, but what my idea on the subject was like this: the stick figures would have to have an idea on what kind of situation they were in. so to do this i thought they would check their relative positions and relative velocities, then based on that they would check say, their arms positions and legs and keep getting more and more detail on the situation they are in, then once they got enough detail they would have a set of options to do in the situation they were in. The options would be things they had tried in previous fights when they were in that situation. Then they would choose the best option and set that as their goal. If the stick figure is in a new situation (one that isnt similar to any of the other ones) then he would record that situation and then try what seems to be the best move, which would be based on a few things like making hte other stick figure out of balance or hitting them with as much force as possible. And so a new option and situation would be created in the stick figure''s memory but this is the best idea i came up with after about...half an hour of thinking () so i came here to ask you guys what a professional would do if he wanted to do something like this. And please, any links to tutorials or articles on how to do this kind of stuff would be great and very much appreciated.

Advertisement
A tough problem. Even professionals have trouble doing autonomous limb control. GA are the most popular choice; look into Karl Sims'' work.

There are a few great threads on the AI Depot.

I suggest you start with something different altogether! Not a great place to start, I guarantee you''ll get frustrated before you get anywhere rewarding (in a couple years

Artificial Intelligence Depot - Maybe it''s not all about graphics...

I agree with Alex on this one... it''s an extremely advanced problem that you wish to tackle. This is not to say that you shouldn''t attempt it, but make sure you have the sufficient foundations on which to develop your ideas... or as Alex points out, you''ll get bored and frustrated very quickly when you get into the nitty gritty.

I would suggest starting with a simple script system for controlling your stick figures, with biomechanics also controlled by script. Later you can look at moving the biomechanics to a more internal control system and possibly adaptive. That is, the agent decides where to position a limb for a particular move, rather than a script dictating it; as well as having another level of code that learns ''how to'' control limbs (so you could simulate sets of muscles that control degrees of freedom of movement).

Cheers,

Timkin

I get what you are trying to do, and your implementation will probably be pretty simple, assuming that you are using two 8-jointed stick figures existing on a two dimensional plane. What you will need to do it implement a simple bone structure so that you won''t have arms and legs flying everywhere.

Your main problem is going to be keeping track of the fighters positions throughout the system with minimal system taxation.

--------------------------------------------
Optimus Prime: Private Investigator!

Oscar Mike Foxtrot Golf! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!