• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black-Veiled Aiel

C++ For dummies or Teach your self game programming in 24 hours.

This topic is 5562 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, a (probably stipid) question here. Should i learn C++ as well as Teach yourself game Programming in 24 Hours? do i need to know C++ befor i get A "How to lean Game programming" book? i have ALOT of free time, (homeschool rules!) so i would be able to learn Both at the same time, Would this be wise? Thanks in advace.

Advertisement
If you want to understand what they''re talking about in the book, learn how to program first.

If you haven''t ever programmed before its going to take some time to get into writing decent applications much less games. Action game programming is a bit different and more demanding

I''d learn c++ first (really learn it, not in 24hours) and write some stuff.
Then learn some good Object Orientated Design and write some stuff then write a game. games and applications in general are more that just knowing a language, they require good knowledge in design how things are going to work together. and that just takes practice. This is a big topic but that''s all i have.

spend some time to learn c++ first, then move on to games. i spent a couple months writing applications and learning the language before starting game programming and im glad i did. you wont really understand much of the stuff in the game programming book without a good foundation in regular programming

hello i am new to the programming game
i was just looking for a friend that i could email or talk to as i learn more! about programming with C/C++. Please email me if you are Interested

Both! First, you must learn C++ basics. Get the dummies book, or the Sam''s book will make little, if any, sense. Then, get the game programming book. But I reccomend getting a game programming book for OpenGL or DirectX.

A Hobo King

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!