how long?

Started by
8 comments, last by Black-Veiled Aiel 21 years ago
How long will it take to creat a 2d RPG (for PC) with quite a bit of content, i am doing 1-1:30 hours a day on C++. just askin''. Thanks in advance
i do not fear death.
Advertisement
A long, long time. It depends on so many variables. Be more specific.
As long as it takes to finish.

If you are so worried about time, why are you here asking how long it will take and not coding?

Qui fut tout, et qui ne fut rien
Invader''s Realm
quote:1-1:30 hours a day on C++.

Personally I''d do more say 5/6 hours one day a week instead of every day. The reason being I find that when coding you sit down think about what you''re going to code, how you''re going to code it etc and so it takes a bit of time to get ''up to speed''. This means that if you have one large coding session every week you''ll find yourself doing more stuff than if you had a short one every day. Well that works for me, it may not work for you.

As for how long it depends on many many things such as how many features you want, how good as programming in C++, how large and complicated the game will be.

Oh and don''t forget coding''s only one side of it. You''ve got to sort out all the content as well
You''re confusing coding and design here. You should already know what you''re going to code and how you''re going to code it.

But you''re right, there''s a kind of "acceleration phase."
I''d say 1hour is definitely too short. But 2-3 hours can get you seome work done

BTW, is anyone able to code well before noon? I seem to have problems twith this.

website coming soon
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
It really depends on your programming speed, say for example you had the game totally designed and you knew the programming, then it would take no time at all to complete.. but I''m guessing that your still learning (Like Me) and I''ll tell you that in the first month I was able to get a character running around in a maze.. but since then I have started over again, I''m redesigning everything, I''m learning about scripting, and I''m drawing out some concept art..

I personally don''t think I''ll be coding at all for a while, (Maybe so little test things) I plan to do it right this time and design everything in a OO design, and have as many little bugs worked out before I start..

Anyways to wrap it all up, I''d say it depends on how long you need to spend on learning what you might not already know.. and then alot of the time will be spend on graphics and content

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
Do you have art? If not, who''s making the art? Have they made art before?

Do you have a design? What maturity is the design? Has the design / play system been play tested before?

Do you have a programming engine to drop art and design into? If so, has the engine been used on a previous project? What are the tools? How well tested? How used to the tools are the artists and designers?

Last: what does "quite a bit of content" mean?
quote:Original post by xMcBaiNx

BTW, is anyone able to code well before noon? I seem to have problems twith this.

Used to have this problem.. so I started waking up earlier. Problem solved.

(silencer)
Ok, sorry for not being specific.
i dont mean how long it takes to finish a game, just to start one.
im just starting to learn C++, and am having a rough time.
its difficult (for me any way) to learn on my own, with no one to show me what im doing wrong.
i have just begun with the main plot of my game, so i dont have much else but whats in my head.
i have no art, but i know what kind of art i want, and with about all the other questions, i dont have anything but a compiplier and a few books.

in a nut shell, how long did it take most of you folks to make a game, from the day you started learning a language to the day you finnished making a game. thats it.

oh, and by "quite a bit of content" i mean a game that has alot of extras, like, differant weapons,differant charector classes, differant NPCs, many spells, many textures, ect. just a bunch of little things that makes the game fun

Thank you all for responding to my post.
i do not fear death.
From the day I picked up the language C until I game?

Oh, immediately. It''s easy to make black jack or some other small game. But do you mean a good game?

Don''t rush. For an RPG with 1 to 1:30 a day.. as a single programmer.. probably between five and nine years.

Jarrod

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement