• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i1977

What does this D3D debug output string mean?

This topic is 5564 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m writing a game using Direct3D8 and a GeForce3 Ti500. The code works fine, but when I run my program with the D3D8 debug runtime, the following line appears in VC++''s debug window: Direct3D8: (INFO) :Failed to create driver indexbuffer I''m just curious to know if someone knows why I am getting this message and, more importantly, if it''s due to something I''m doing that could be done better/differently. Or maybe it''s just a driver-specific information message that I would not get on an ATI video card, for example? Thanks for any idea!

Advertisement
It is just a message for the sake of the information. It is not an error or warning, so can safely be ignored.

Yes, but I''d still like to know why I get the message. Is it something I''m doing that causes this message to appear or would it appear no matter how I wrote my code because it''s a driver implementation thing?

I''m pretty sure I know what the message really means.

I''m pretty sure it''s nVidia only.

I''m pretty sure nVidia hasn''t let the general population know about it. MS and XBox community are the only ones who know... maybe registered nVidia developers too. I''ve never see a public document the mentions anything about what I believe the issue is.

I''m pretty sure I can''t tell you any more about it without violating NDA.

I''m AM sure you can ignore it.

I get the same "error" message with my ATI Radeon 8500/9000 Pro video cards ... so it's not just nVidia only ...

"Direct3D9: (INFO) :Failed to create driver indexbuffer"

[edited by - zern on March 31, 2003 6:44:39 PM]

As far as I know, only the Radeon9700+ have support for hardware index buffers, so maybe that''s causing the message? (On other hardware, index buffers are just a d3d convenience).

Any dude here with a 9700/9800?

Cheers,
Muhammad Haggag

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yes... GeForce does not have support for "hardware" index buffers. That''s why you see the message. Nothing to worry about.

It''s benign, it''s not you, you can ignore it.

GeForce cards earlier than GeForce-FX don''t have hardware index buffers, so you get the message.

Development Lead
Windows Graphics & Gaming Technology

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!