• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leadorn

Creating a console

This topic is 5561 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I was browsing around the articles and couldn’t find anything about console, except the quake console article. I want to make a console for input commands, how would you build your console? ex "/say leadorn Hello leadorn nice to see you." I was thinking of using a tree to store all commands, mostly because fast searching. And all commands will be stored in a struct, with a pointer to which function to call. This is like the basic structure, what else can I add, except tree functions like searching...

Advertisement
Something I found extremely interesting was the SDL_console library, which you can find off of SDL''s site here.

Basically, you have to put in the basic support for entering/displaying text in the console, and then you gotta implement some kind of callback method.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!