• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SSJCORY

Switching to Java.

This topic is 5563 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been learning C++ for a little over a year now. I am going to be taking a Java course next year. How hard is switching from C++ to Java. Also is Visual J++ a good compiler? Just trying to get ahead. Thnx.
Favorite Quotes:Gandalf: You shall not pass!|Gollum: My Precious!|Smeagol: My little hobbitses.|

Advertisement
You should have very little trouble making the switch to Java given your current background. It will seem very similar to what you already know, just a few syntax changes, and maybe a few structure changes. You will also a lack of pointers in java that you may be used to seeing in C++. As for J++, I would avoid it. It is the microsoft version of a pseudo-java environment, and as such keeps you tied to the microsoft family with little ability to explore pure Sun Microsystems Java. You can go to sun''s website and download free SDK which will include the javac compiler. I like the Borland JBuilder IDE alot, and would recommend you look into a version of it, but you should not need to buy anything special. Sun''s compiler and a text editor should suffice. Hope this helped.

CodeJunkie

Yes, once you know C++, java is easy to learn and complain about. Hehehe.

class HelloWorld
{
public static void main()
{
System.out.println("Java sucks!");
}

}

vs

#include <iostream.h>
void main()
{
cout << "C++ Ownzer!";
}

Does main always have to lie within a class in Java?

Favorite Quotes:Gandalf: You shall not pass!|Gollum: My Precious!|Smeagol: My little hobbitses.|

Yes, but there can be classes that don't have a main function.

(silencer)

[edited by - -silencer- on April 1, 2003 8:13:48 PM]

Avoid visual J++. My teacher told me it is different and shouldnt use. We had Borland books as text books for my class, but i didnt like jbuilder my self. All i did was install jbuilder so i cold have the library on my computer and i downloaded TextPad. THat has worked out for me just fine.

Guest Anonymous Poster
For an IDE, use Eclipse.

www.eclipse.org

It''s the best editor out there, bar none. Let alone the complete free ness of it.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!