• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ssjeci

direct x and c++?

This topic is 5740 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

why is there a difference between directx programming and c++ programming.dont u code both in c++.same goes for vb.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Ok I don''t know if I am going to get this straight but I will try my best.

C++ is a programming language that allows you to code what ever you want.

Direct X is an API that allows you to do graphics/sound/input that works with C++.

So if you are using MSVC++ you can download the DirectX SDK from microsoft and then code in some cool stuff. Also if you don''t want to use DirectX there is also OpenGL which is also just as good and makes it easier if you are wanting to port this to different Operating Systems (Windows, Mac, Linux).

quote:
Original post by ssjeci
why is there a difference...
A difference? What is it?
quote:
...between directx programming and c++ programming.
DirectX is not C++. As AP said, DX is an API, C++ is a programming language. and API is not a programming language.

Current project: 2D in Direct3D engine.
% completed: ~35%

quote:
Original post by ssjeci
whenever i goto directx tutorials they show me codes.so do u code the codes on c++?

You can. You can also write DirectX code in Visual Basic or C#, but the documentation is usually in C++.

Qui fut tout, et qui ne fut rien
Invader''s Realm

quote:
Original post by ssjeci
whenever i goto directx tutorials they show me codes.so do u code the codes on c++?
They show you the codes how to do some stuff in DirectX using a programming language (C, C++, C#, or VB)

Current project: 2D in Direct3D engine.
% completed: ~35%

Directx is like a tool designed to help you program games. It is perfectly possible (but a pain in the ass) to program in C++ or visual basic without using directx or opengl or any other tool and make a game.

Directx itself is not a programming language and is not enough to make a game. You can''t program a game in directx. You can use directx from within basic or c++, or theoretically any language with windows support and pointers. Directx can get you pointers to video memory, or take the sound files you pass to it and play them, but you need the code to decide where, when, and why to put those images on screen and play those sounds.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!