modeling opinion

Started by
3 comments, last by ssjeci 21 years ago
what do u guys think other fighting game developers model their chars.do u think they make a single mesh or multiple meshes.and which method do u think is the better way. i have a question.is there any engine dev tutorials on this site.
Advertisement
Don''t know about fighting game models, but you won''t find any tutorials specifically for making 3D engines. The topic is way too broad and complicated; you''ll only find tutorials on more specific topics. Your best bet is a book, for example Programming RPGs with DirectX pretty much goes through the creation of a 3D engine step by step.
A single or multiple meshes for one character? I''d imagine one, though it might be split up a bit. I know that some FPS (though I can''t remember which) actually split the mesh into legs, a torso, and a head, but I imagine most fighting game characters are a single mesh.
Peon
The Quake engines use split up models like that.

[edited by - micepick on March 31, 2003 7:33:40 PM]
Most have a single mesh, which contains "bones". Each bone has a set of vertices associated with them, so when you rotate/translate said bone, each vertex that''s associated with it gets rotated/translated (this is how animation works). The only real reason you''d have more than 1 mesh, would be for things like items (weapons, etc) that can connect/disconnect from each character. There aren''t ussually different meshes for each part, because they have to be connected, they are split into sections by placing them into seperate groups (right leg, left leg, etc), but they are normally all part of a single mesh, they just have collections (bones).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement