• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kinkisan

newbie project

This topic is 5555 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

dear people from this forum, i need your help. i'm 15 years old, and yes i know, you will think that i'm one of these kids who wants to make a big program at the first shot and yes, i really want to make a big program as fast as possible. i'm really interested in programming. so i decided to make an adventure game for a big big project at school. but, because i'm a total newbie, i have no knowlegde of c++ and other languages. i don't even know the basic things. i started to read books like "teach yourself c++ in 21 days" i think it's not that hard to learn c++ but it's hard to use it. also, i would like to use languages as direct x to build my game... sounds crazy i know... i have only 10 months to learn programming, learn game programming, and build my game.... i need tips about how to start, i can spend at least 100$ on books (canadian dollars, so it's like 60$ us... yes i'm canadian, it sucks, and i'm a frenchie too... fuck... america's the best...)and i can get a lot of programs like 3ds max studio and microsoft visual c++ from friends... so i need alot of advise. you can tell me i'm an total idiot, I ALREADY KNOW IT. by the way, how much time does it take to learn programming....? sigh... it's like mission impossible... -total newbie- [edited by - kinkisan on March 31, 2003 6:57:28 PM]

Advertisement
1)i have told my project to some people, and they say it''s impossible to do

2)i''m a grade 10 student and i''m almost finished with my high school studies (canadian studies system of course) i''m in an international program of studies so we have to make a big project for next year, the project is due for march 2004 so i have only 10 months left

I spent about 6 months on c++, I didn''t have much time,I would do it after school and before work. You can learn c++ easily in 2 months including polymorphism, funciton pointers, inheritence and other things. I then did directX on the fly while trying to make a game with a friend. DirectX is not tough if you have the SDK and some good tutorial programs. So I would estimate you could be making good progress on a game in 2 months.

Go on an Intense Rampage

First off, where''s the fire? Why do you have to do this in ten months?

Second off.. why are you starting big? It''s not a good idea as when you don''t make it, you will get burnt out. Programming is an artform that takes years to develop. Years. I''ve been doing this for between ten and fifteen of them off and on as a hobby, and I''m still nowhere close to good enough to make a big game by myself.

It''s a marathon.. not a sprint.

if it''s not big enough, it will suck, i need something good to pass... i know it''s impossible to make a game like zelda or half life or whatever it is, but i want something great...at least realistic, not cheap

Guest Anonymous Poster
argggghhh I hate this posts

do you people think that my project is possible... please be honest, i need advise from experts, not jerks who say that i suck

Nobody has told you that you suck (except you yourself, of course...)

Anyway, this really depends on your defenition of "big". If your interpretation of "realistic, not cheap" is the same as mine, this project just isn't going to happen. Too much, too fast.

I bet you could make a nice 2D game in that time, though (perhaps a simple platform game, or maybe a top down tile-based puzzle game of some sort). If you're gonna try it, don't slack off. This would take some dedication.

[edited by - micepick on March 31, 2003 7:16:33 PM]

No, i come from quebec too and... I know a bit about that international program stuff, I don''t thinkl you''ll be able to pull of something worth of showing them.

(Blitting something to the screen has absolutely no kind of scientific value if you use an API, its just about syntax).

They could be more interested if you showed them some cool console stuff... (console as dos prompt) btw.... I had no luck for games as projects in my Computer classes neither. They like math stuff a lot...

Another possibility would be to race for 3d programming and learn a bit of the maths.... but that''s a dangerous path, ''cause if you don''t succeed, there''s no escape route.

Console stuff would be your best bet. You coulddo a 2 player chess program or a ascii pacman with AI... they would love AI i tend to think.

Well I do not know really what they want for the international diploma but, I''m pretty damn sure just showing a good looking fuy on the screen won''t impress them at all.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!