newbie project

Started by
65 comments, last by kinkisan 21 years ago
You could spend time learning C++ and then make a very nice and beautiful text adventure game. A text adventure game may not sound like a lot but it is. You could add rpg concepts to it as well (which can make up for the mathimatical stuff) and you can get a small look into how AI works a bit. Trust me you WILL NOT be able to make a fully graphical game in 10 months while learning C++ then. In order to make a graphical game you need to have pieces of code which you can use in your works and have a complete plan of what your doing.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
Advertisement
Are you going to make this a team effort, or solo? If solo, prepare to lose sleep. Also, what are you going to do about art? Are you / do you know a good CG artist?
quote:Original post by kinkisan
so programming c++ is quite impossible... then can i make a decent game with visual basic, or java or delphi, or whatever it is?

Go for c++ in my opinion vb doesn''t make it that much easier to make a game, maybe a web browser(really easy) or spreadsheat, but that''s not a game. And C++ code will look cooler to you''re teachers . A book I would suggest for learning C++ quickly is SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 10 Minutes (it takes longer than that though!).

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
ok, do you guys know a program like rpgmaker? i want to make a kind of rpg, but without fights. u know? like pokemon without pokemons? haha, sounds stupid...
Well, RPG maker is like rpg maker, but you can''t show off code with that... not sure I get you''re question

quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
Go for c++ in my opinion vb doesn''t make it that much easier to make a game, maybe a web browser(really easy) or spreadsheat, but that''s not a game. And C++ code will look cooler to you''re teachers . A book I would suggest for learning C++ quickly is SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 10 Minutes (it takes longer than that though!).

Bad bad bad idea. The "coolness" of the code is irrelevant, and C++ is a lot harder to use and takes a lot longer to do anything impressive than any other language I know short of assembly.
i''m solo... so damn it. the important in my work is not the code and the programming, it''s about the elements in the game... i just want something neat...sigh
"C++ code will look cooler to you''re teachers"

False, a teacher will like VB better, because then hell be able to pretend he understand
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
mcbain is right, all my teachers are old idiots who don''t know what''s a computer, so i think i''m going for visual basic
quote:Original post by micepick
Bad bad bad idea. The "coolness" of the code is irrelevant, and C++ is a lot harder to use and takes a lot longer to do anything impressive than any other language I know short of assembly.

I thought the "coolness" might be important if it was graded, but if it's only the elements of the game you might be better off with something else. I'd still go with C++, but that's just me. If you ever want to make professional games though, I would use C++.

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on March 31, 2003 7:40:05 PM]

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on March 31, 2003 7:40:29 PM]

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on March 31, 2003 7:40:42 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement