• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chubba75

Difference between B - Information Technology and B - Computer science??

This topic is 5559 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The B - IT would have software engineering as a major. Which of the 2 degree''s would be more suited for games programming? Neither of the courses offer game specific units, but both offer graphics and AI.

Advertisement
Do whatever appeals to you the most and do games programming on the side. Information technology is almost certainly going to be more business based though.

Ant

Computer Science will most likely help you more.. at my school it''s much more in-depth for programming languages, optimization, etc. IT has a few more classes on how to use some software, but CS has more on how to actually write software. Check out the classes required for both programs at the schools you''re looking at, and talk to the advisors there to get a better opinion.

(silencer)

In my experience, IT has been more about using software (and, I think, little bits of administration); CS is more about how they actually work, and writing software.

(In fact, IT doesn''t teach how to use software - it teaches how to use Microsoft Word or Adobe Photoshop, rather than user skills in general. But that''s another rant. )

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!