Is this engine design any good?

Started by
121 comments, last by Mage2k 20 years, 11 months ago
Original post by superpig

Firstly, don''t worry about all those ''truncated in the debug information'' warnings, I get them too. It''s a bug in MSVC that won''t let me #pragma them off; it just can''t cope with the fact that when the template is expanded, it has a long name.

Use the following:

#pragma warning ( disable : 4786 )

to turn them off. The important bit is to use this command in the .h file _before_ any #include directives.
Advertisement
Seems nice, admitly a bit hard for me to follow some of the code as I never learned stl woth a damm since I always used my own lib for doing linked lists,etc. But overall very nice.
quote:Original post by tolaris
Use the following:

#pragma warning ( disable : 4786 )

to turn them off. The important bit is to use this command in the .h file _before_ any #include directives.

I did already try the #pragma.. but I don''t think it was before all #include directives. I''ll try again.

I don''t remember any notes about it being before #include directives.. how does that work?

I think I''ll try adding it to stdafx.h and see if it works when precompiled...

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

i did some googling and found out how to initialize a static member variable...

i tried doing this...

std::list CEngine::Settings;

in the cpp file for the CEngine class... it compiles and links just fine, but then it gives me some sort of access violation error message immediatly after i run the program =/

Bungo!
Bungo!
Bungo,

Hmm.

I''m recoding the whole thing from scratch, anyway, and testing it to the max before I release it this time. Just like the article was first-draft here, so was the code in it

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

ah =P, well keep up the good work, cause this is EXACTLY (like down to the last detail) what i needed. just from reading your article ive learned quite a lot.
Bungo!
quote:Original post by superpig

I did already try the #pragma.. but I don''t think it was before all #include directives. I''ll try again.

I don''t remember any notes about it being before #include directives.. how does that work?

Strange, I already put that #pragma in a header my main include header AFTER all of the standard includes (stdlib.h, iostream.h, fstream.h, etc...) and it works just fine. I actually started a thread in the General Programming forum about trying to get around using the #pragma at all (you can''t).

Also, BungoMan, not sure if this will actually affect anything, but when you are declaring/defining a stl container you should always include the template paramater:

std::list CEngine::Setttings;

---------------------------------------------------There are 10 kinds of people in the world:Those that understand binary, and those that dont...Mage
erm... any idea y i can''t seem to access the Binary Refinery''s website? i get the ''server not found'' error. been trying for a week now... i dun have problems with my usual surfing, so its kinda odd. couldnt even read the article if i wanted to
- To learn, we share... Give some to take some -
Good work - i'm not a total beginner, but have been looking for an article on this, and as many other people already have said, I learnt quite a lot just by reading the first few paragraphs.

That said, I also think that you shouldn't try to simplify things too much; you should be able to put things in that shouldn't need explaining, otherwise this topic will never go forward. Like you said, there's certain things that if you don't know, you shouldn't be trying to make a game engine.

One thing I noticed, tho this may be a bit premature, but you don't actually use the AddRef() and Release() functions in your memory manager, or is that part still to come - i just got a bit lost as to how you're going to use them later on..

Anyway - please let us know when you have any more - i think this series is going to be very worthwhile for the slightly more experienced game developer!

[edited by - Terren on April 21, 2003 12:52:11 PM]
i didnt forget them =/ (i think the message board removed it cause its between a < and a > )
Bungo!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement