DirectX9 Tutorials?

Started by
6 comments, last by EbonySeraph 21 years ago
Are there any tutorials going over the basics of Direct3D9 like device creation, setting up matricies, and simple rendering with a vertex buffer? I''m trying to get back into Direct3D but I don''t want to use the 8 interfaces. If the basics I just said are pretty much the same in 9(like only changing the 8''s to 9) then someone just tell me. Also does anyone know if there is a book being written to teach Direct3D9?(or DirectX9 in general) Thanks. "Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
"Ogun's Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.
Advertisement
Yea, as far as device creation goes they didn''t change anything from 8 -> 9.

Just change the 8''s to 9''s to use DX9.

IDirect3D8 -> IDirect3D9,etc.

Someone please correct me if I''m wrong but I believe that that is correct.
The changes from 8 -> 9 are pretty minor. I''ve converted a bunch of my tutorials to DX9, so they might help. Just click my signature or go to www.drunkenhyena.com.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
What about upgrading it directly? (Just changing 8''s to 9''s)

I''m sure DX9 has faster algorithms/functions that could otherwise be used, but oh well.....

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Upgrade to .NET and DirectX 9
Percent Complete: X%
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
quote:Original post by Rob Loach
What about upgrading it directly? (Just changing 8''s to 9''s)

I''m sure DX9 has faster algorithms/functions that could otherwise be used, but oh well.....

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Upgrade to .NET and DirectX 9
Percent Complete: X%

The "What''s New" part of the DirectX 9 SDK documentation should tell you exactly what has been added and/or changed. Most likely the interface to the algorithm remained the same while the under the hood implimentation has changed.

Qui fut tout, et qui ne fut rien
Invader''s Realm
I am currently converting a DX8 application to DX9. Indeed, in most case, the convertion from 8 to 9 is done by replacing a character. btw, some function take more parameters, and the expansion of the vertex shader part of DX implied some changes in the vertex rendering (setvertexshader changed to setFVF etc...). but indeed, it''s quite minor.
All tutorials from DX8 are now converted to DX9 in the SDK. I must admit this new release is more beginner''s friendly (and I know what i am taking about, coz i am a beginner ). check out the appwizard for a quick start.
regards,Freeman_CIT
Isn''t it then better to stick with DirectX 8? I mean, it would be backwards compatible and the speed gain would still be there if somebody has the DirectX 9 runtimes installed.

Unless you want to use the new features of DirectX 9, of course...
more directx9 stuffage over here
[size=2]aliak.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement