• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital Extent

Software versions

This topic is 5731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a standard for the meaning of software versions and reversion? What should be the different between Something 1.0 and Something 1.0.5 or 1.5? And what exactly is the meaning of Alpha and Beta versions?

Advertisement
I don''t know about version numbering conventions but Alpha is usually feature complete, but major bugs remaining ( i.e. crash / freeze bugs ). Beta is usually when major bugs have been squashed and only minor bugs and gameplay tweaks remain

There is no standard meaning. What you call your versions is up to you and you alone. What you designate as "Alpha" or "Beta" is again up to you alone.

As gowron67 said though, usually Alpha is feature complete with major bugs and Beta is feature complete with only minor bugs remaining.

Qui fut tout, et qui ne fut rien
Invader''s Realm

I don''t believe it''s a requirement for an alpha to be feature complete.

Ours will not be

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."
-- Mark Twain

I thought that alpha is normally a version that is released only to people directly on the team that is creating it. It is then distributed to a list of ''beta testers'' under the beta version.

I have started using the following version scheme:

v0.00.0000

.0000 is the build number
.00 is basically the patch number / minor number
0. is the major version number

Yeah alpha is usually all features.
Beta is meant to be all bugs fixed.
gold is totally finished.

The reason why so many digits is so that programs such as Installshield can show the full version number.

Is there a way that you can check how many builds you''ve done in a c++ project in VS.NET? Instead of manually keeping track of it lol sounds like a pain in the ass.

quote:
I thought that alpha is normally a version that is released only to people directly on the team that is creating it. It is then distributed to a list of ''beta testers'' under the beta version.

I’ve always gone by this also. I’ve always considered an alpha to be feature-complete. Alpha is distributed to people within the company. Once you remove all the bugs you can, you release a beta which goes to selected people outside the company.

But the last company I worked for insisted that alpha does not need to be feature-complete. I don’t agree with that since I don’t know what the purpose of an alpha version would be then. Oh, well.

quote:
I’ve always gone by this also. I’ve always considered an alpha to be feature-complete. Alpha is distributed to people within the company. Once you remove all the bugs you can, you release a beta which goes to selected people outside the company.

But the last company I worked for insisted that alpha does not need to be feature-complete. I don’t agree with that since I don’t know what the purpose of an alpha version would be then. Oh, well.

The purpose of an alpha is to get some testing done. Whether it's feature complete or not, you can still test stuff on multiple machines with multiple users. Just because it's not complete doesn't mean it doesn't need testing .

[edited by - Ready4Dis on April 1, 2003 5:23:13 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!