• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FreJa

What the hell are the faces?

This topic is 5730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, When I read a model file, in all of them I find faces, for example: in ASC files one of the faces is like this: Face 0: A:0 B:3 C:4 AB:1 BC:1 CA:0 I think I understand that the faces are the polygons... but then, what do those numbers mean (A:0 B:3, etc.)? Thanks

Advertisement
Those faces are triangles, not polygons. A, B and C is the vertex array index. AB BC and CA are edge flags... don''t care about them :]

Hope that helps.

Guest Anonymous Poster
All triangles are polygons, so FreJa is right, they''re polygons. I guess what you''re trying to say is that they''re not just any kind of polygon, but triangles.

too clear things for you.

The faces are the actual triangle but the value is not the actual coordinates for you triangle. Inside the file you should also have a list of vertices, this is the actual coordinates which you would like to draw.
So if your face 0 has the three points A = 0, B = 3 and C = 4 then you just does:

glVertex3f(verticesLink

Yeah, of course youRE right, triangles are polygons... I just meant that they are not arbitrary polygons, but triagnles. As you said.

Ah.

:]

[edited a typo]

[edited by - Michbeck on April 2, 2003 5:45:23 PM]

i surrender!

each face corner points too the corresponding coordinates in the vertices list..

Damn, I hate brackets!

Try source tags:

//eeeko''s code:

glVertex3f( vertices[A].x , vertices[A].y , vertices[A].z);
glVertex3f( vertices[B].x , vertices[B].y , vertices[B].z);
glVertex3f( vertices[C].x , vertices[C].y , vertices[C].z);

Thats a ASE file format? MESH_FACE
A B C are points.
AB BC CA are edge. Just ignore the rest of the line.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!