• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jirka

Tutorial about Scripting

This topic is 5741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im looking for some tutorial about srcipting i read some here but those are too dificult for me. So if you know about some simple ones, i would really appreciate.

Advertisement
If you are talking about writing your own scripting language then there aren''t really any simple tutorials. Writing a scripting engine is inherently a complex task. Your best bet might be to look at using something like Python or Lua, they seem to get good reviews from other gamedev people.

HTH

When asking questions its a good idea to provide some information about your current knowledge/skills/prefered programming languages. For example what programming language do you want to embed the scripting language into?(I guess C++?)

If you want to make your own scripting engine(not a good idea if you find the available tutorials too hard!) then you will probably want to look into lexer/parser generators like lex/yacc or flex/bison etc(they exist for almost all programming languages), after that follows constructing abstract syntax and finally running thus or generating code to a virtual stack machine. Im currently following a compiler course(uses SML as metalanguage though) which has some nice slides, example code etc( see http://www.it-c.dk/courses/PFOO/F2003/ )

If you want to use an existing scripting system, i would propose taking a look at lua ( www.lua.org & lua-users.org ), as its simplest its extremelly easy to use and it scales nicely to more complicated use.
Other than that Python is also a popular choice, and there also exist spidermonkey( javascript ) and simkin.

If you go with lua id suggest also reading http://gamestudies.cdis.org/~amatheson/LUA-Part01/Part01-section01.html

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!