duke nukem 3d source

Started by
14 comments, last by dopeflow 21 years ago
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Well, id is quite keen on commenting. But they also like it messy

Id??? Messy??? I have never seen better sources than those from Id. For example Quake2 source is wonderful.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by foofightr
From browsing the code, it''s obvious that Replogle had NO IDEA it would ever be released to the public. So obviously it was not a priority at all to make it user-friendly. The code has a very "personalized" feel, with very specialized #define''s and few comments. I imagine that Replogle was extremely comfortable with the code and didn''t need any comments to understand it. He was coding for the present, to get the game shipped, not to help readability for someone 10 years later. Bad software engineering, yes, but at least the code itself is solid (after it''s compiled).
That''s very surprising. So the programmer did DukeNukem3D initially just as a hobby? He had no goal to go commercial?

Current project: 2D in Direct3D engine.
% completed: ~40%
quote:Original post by alnite
That's very surprising. So the programmer did DukeNukem3D initially just as a hobby? He had no goal to go commercial?

Ummm, I meant he had no idea the source code would be released. Before Carmack started releasing source code, it just wasn't done.

[edited by - foofightr on April 2, 2003 1:46:41 PM]
comments are for sissies
quote:Original post by foofightr
From browsing the code, it's obvious that Replogle had NO IDEA it would ever be released to the public. So obviously it was not a priority at all to make it user-friendly. The code has a very "personalized" feel, with very specialized #define's and few comments. I imagine that Replogle was extremely comfortable with the code and didn't need any comments to understand it. He was coding for the present, to get the game shipped, not to help readability for someone 10 years later. Bad software engineering, yes, but at least the code itself is solid (after it's compiled).
[edited by - foofightr on April 1, 2003 10:16:04 PM]

Even still, it's always a good idea to keep code clean (makes it easier (in my experience) for YOU later on).

[EDIT] And where can you get the source???

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Upgrade to .NET and DirectX 9
Percent Complete: X%

[edited by - Rob Loach on April 2, 2003 3:26:21 PM]

[edited by - Rob Loach on April 2, 2003 3:27:48 PM]
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Fantastic of them to release the source. When I was practicing websites I made one dedicated to this game with my level I made on a 486 (which wasn''t easy - levels tended to corrupt on a 486)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement