• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miwrn20

Finding a Running Program

This topic is 5559 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''d like to be able to let my program know whenever Windows Messenger Service receives a message. How do I Check to see if it''s process (csrss.exe) is displaying an OK box? I''m trying to use the Microsoft SPY++ tool to see when it receives messages but I''m not real familiar in its use. If I do find what messages it uses, how would I get a program I write to find it? and do something when it does? BTW, I''m using Win2k and either VC++ or VB 6.0. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
You actually have several options. At the more ambitious end of the spectrum, you can write your own replacement service to monitor the Windows Messenger Service port and parse its transmissions (benefits: you can have IM-style windows where you scroll up for text, and on Windows NT 4 you can avoid annoying pop-ups). At the more pedestrian end, you can have your program constantly use FindWindow[Ex] to locate the HWND of the popup dialog box, at which point you can try to peek in its message queue or peer into its resources.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!