A few questions to get me started...

Started by
8 comments, last by obi-wan 21 years ago
I have recently completed the first semester of an electronic engineering degree and as part of that course I have completed a module in C programming. I have decided that I would like to use some of what I have learnt and start programming games. I have ordered “Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus” as this seems to be very highly recommended everywhere I look but while I am waiting impatiently for this to be delivered I would like to ask a few questions: What software do I need to start programming games and where can I get it from? I have been lucky enough to get a free copy of Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 from my university and I know I will need a DirectX SDK (although I am not exactly sure what that is!) but was wondering if there was anything else I needed to get up and running. Also how much C++ do I need to know to follow the above book? I have looked at a few basic online tutorials for this but haven’t gone as far as object orientated programming yet and was wondering if this is used much in the book or whether I can get away without learning it for the time being? Thanks a lot.
Advertisement
The dx sdk is free from microsoft.com.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
TOTWGPG is almost straight C, and though there are periodically small bits of C++ in there, it''s all explained thoroughly.
<< I have looked at a few basic online tutorials for this but haven’t gone as far as object orientated programming yet and was wondering if this is used much in the book or whether I can get away without learning it for the time being? >>

Lamothe uses basically straight C so its easier to understand in my opinion. Very little object oriented stuff in the Gurus book. He uses C++ when he has to, such as his calls to DirectX. I''m a beginner as well, and I would suggest learning OpenGL before DirectX graphics. Highly recommend OpenGL Game Programming by the creators of this site. Although I''ve only started the book, it looks A LOT easier to learn than DirectX.

Phil P
That particular book is available free ion .pdf format from this link:
http://www.programmers-unlimited.com/downloads/ebooks/games/game_programming_book.zip
Thanks for all the advice.

On the subject of DirectX vs. OpenGL, I think I’ll stick with DirectX for the moment as it seems to be the more widely used of the two (correct me if I’m wrong!) If I’m having problems I might take your advice and switch to OpenGL.

Thanks again.
Hi

If you''re concerned about C++ and OO stuff - and would prefer C then I would argue that Opengl is the best API for you; It''s a C API as opposed to the COM API exposed by DX - which adds to the learning curve - it''s OO, interface based etc. DX API has got a lot cleaner over the years - but this has two sides - you have get to terms with the fact that lots of the examples and docs will be based on older version of DX - which have pretty different APIs - this can add to the confusion even more when you start out. I''m not saying one is better than the other - I just think opengl suits your skillset.

Anything you learn in Opengl will be applicable to DX, if you choose to move later.
Hmmm.

I think I’m still gonna give DirectX a go first as this is what is covered in TOTWGPG and I would like to learn C++ at some point anyway.

Just out of interest does OpenGL just cover graphics or does it cover other elements like music aswell (as with DirectX)? If it is solely used for graphics then what would I use for music, etc?

Thanks.
Open Graphics Library.

Why you shouldn''t use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book
OpenGL, as said in the last post, is a graphics only library. For sound, you could use OpenAL, or, you could just use other components of directX, for instance, you could use DirectInput for input ( assuming you are developing for windows ).

On a side note, what uni do you go to?

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement