Is there any possible way to edit a dialog box in pixels?`

Started by
1 comment, last by monkeyman 21 years ago
Hey- I''ve looked all over and can''t find the answer..hopefully someone here has already done this. I want to size a dialog. In pixels. That''s IT. Unfortunately, I can''t seem to create a dialog box in anything but "Dialog Units". I''ve tried looking through MSDN, and also tried all options I can find under the guide settings. If anyone knows how to do this, please share.. Thanks, -MM "Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
Advertisement
Just to add, I have found several references that state that the size of the dialog is measured in dialog units, however, I cannot find any reference that explicitly states that the MSVC++ is completely incapable of using anything else.

I am making the assumption that they would have allowed SOME method of creating dialog boxes and controls in pixels, but then again, they might have simply neglected to add this capability.

If nothing else I can manually shift things around once the program is running(before the dialog box is first rendered), but that involves lots of extras, such as knowing the exact pixel location of each dialog element beforehand.

It would be SO easy to simply use the dialog editor and visually line things up, since it IS a good editor that does just about everything else, but if it''s simply not capable of editing in pixel space then I don''t have much of a choice.

I would be just as happy to find something that definitively states that the MSVC++ editor cannot do this. At least then I would be justified in doing it in the code.

If anyone can verify one way or another I would appreciate it.

In the interest of maintaining my productivity, I got the pixel locations from the artist and am currently writing the code to place and resize each dialog element before it''s displayed(grumble).

My immediate problem is solved, but I''d still like to know what the deal is with the editor. I know it could easily be done, I''m not sure why they would (a) not give the option, or (b) document that it simply cannot be done, due to whatever reasons.

I don''t believe it''s necessary to document a "missing" feature, but I can''t believe that I''m the first person to come along who wanted to create a dialog layout based on pixel resolution.

If I find a solid reference that states whether or not this capability exists I''ll post it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement