• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steve010

I've Decided to Learn Visual Basic

This topic is 5737 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Could you please tell me all you know about visual basic? (Not actual help on coding, but stuff like what I need and stuff.)

Advertisement
Is this a strange April Fool''s joke, or do you actually expect people to tell you all they know about Visual Basic?

Again I say.

C++/C!

VB BAD!

NO VB!

Seriously, slow, limited....etc..

...stuff

things...

Gah I''m tired..

Later.

DigiCode - My solo company in progress

Peter Wright''s "Beginning Visual Basic 6" will teach you a ton of VB. It''s not too expensive and a good VB book. After that you''ll need Visual Basic, which you should be able to get for under $90 online.

(silencer)

Guest Anonymous Poster
VB buagg, waste your time in useful things, learn C

What''s all this VB-bashing? I say go for it; it''s a great beginner language and it''s also great for getting nice programs up and running really fast.

And before you narrow-minded "real" programmers flame me, yes I know C and C++ and I''ve been programming in them for quite some time.

I have to admit I don''t like VB either... I''ve recently checked an ASP page, and the VB language is really awful to me...

But... my brother who works in UK is telling me that VB is frequently used for some things, and some employers require that you handle VB well... So now I''m hunting a copy of Visual Studio .NET... Sorry, girls, but when there is no money, I have no option...

Mac for productivity
Linux for development
Palm for mobility
Windows... for the Solitaire

Whats it all against VB...

I don''t fucking see how a small business who wants to set up a Database for his inventory would prefer a C++ program to a VB one

The program will take 2 days to get up and running in VB. Dunno for C but even for MFC gods.... much longer.

However I do prefer C/C++ for gameprogramming. There''s a thing tough, 90% of the games we see here could have been programmed in VB and stay well over 30fps.

No need of any book to learn VB, just browse msdn if you have programming experience

I would think of it more as the oposite of expanding, but thats my opinion. Why not learn java, or further your knowledge in C++, or learn to do something with C++. There is tons to learn, such as Win32 or using MFC, or OpenGL and directX. I don''t really think theres a thing you can do in VB that you cnt in C++ which is why i dnt think its expanding, however you can do simple things faster. If you want to expand your knowledge in programming languages learn a useful one like Assembly, or java.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!