• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bioagentX

Learning how to develop games

This topic is 5555 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, here''s the thing. I want to learn how to program games. Currently, I''m in the process of learning C/ and C++. But I was wondering what other people would recommend. Personally, although I feel this is a good game development site, I feel their advice for beginners is somewhat lacking. I mean, they recommend a C/C++ reference book for the beginner, but clearly references are not what the beginning programmer desires. So, I was thinking, what books or products should I buy to get started. Currently, I have two books on C++, one book on C, and a teach yourself game programming book in 24 hours(which is actually more helpful than it sounds). I''m wondering if I should learn everything in these C++ books before I start developing games. Do I really need to know everything in these books, or should I just learn the information that is necessary for game development. If so, how do I know what information is necessary? Any information or response from anyone would be much appreciated. -BioagentX

Advertisement
Absolutely everything in C is necessary for game development. You have to master it completely.

If you want to program in C++, you also have to master that except for some of the more esoteric features (like multiple inheritance).

Guest Anonymous Poster
all information about C and C++ is absolutely necessary for the develop of games, for develop games after you know c/c++, you need to learn opengl/d3d/direcdraw... depend of the type of game.

Yes

just kiddin...

My advice, is just to go ahead, if you cannot find what you are looking for in your reference books, ask around, and shop around for better ones ~

The amount of knowledge for game development is vast. So vast, even professional game developers don''t have all the knowledge needed for game development.

So you should program like you ski, go really fast, and if there is anything in your way, turn!

Nearly everything I''ve looked for in reference to C/C++ I''ve found in the Deitel & Deitel "C: How to Program" and "C++: How to Program" books. There''s just so much info available. As far as game programming, OpenGL Game Programming has been awesome, but I recommend having a solid understanding of C++ classes and pointers before going into that book.

I think this site is very helpful for beginners - usually most questions are answered the day they''re posted. If you ask the question "How do I write a game?" then you''re going to get references, because that can''t be answered in a quick post. If you don''t even know where to begin, start with simple text games like the one I posted in this thread:

Text Adventure?

(silencer)

-no I don''t work for Deitel & Deitel-

If you try and learn *everything* about C/C++ before starting on game programming you may give up out of boredom before you even start. Why not start learning a language and write very simple programs as you go, using the language features you have learnt so far.

I have a set of exercises on my hard drive somewhere that are based on the first few chapters of C++ Primer, and aimed at budding games developers. Leave your email address if you want them.

Caroline M.

Guest Anonymous Poster
pikkonthemighty@yahoo.com

Ultimately the only way to learn to program games is to do it and do it and do it. Just try as soon as you can. I remember I wrote a COBOL game at college when I only knew half of the instructions

Mark
Sound Effects For Game Developers
http://www.indiesfx.co.uk

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!