• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bzroom

WOWWW

This topic is 5558 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

do control panel > directx > direct3d > retail mode if u havn''t already, and ya do, u will see a killer jump in fps, this is great, can any one explain what all is being checked in debug mode?

Advertisement
Lots of things are checked.

When using a hardware device, you may see a 5-10% increase.

When using a software device, I''ve seen a 3000% increase (yes, from 1FPS to 30FPS). There is probably a whole lot of per-vertex sanity checking, or even per-vertex, per-light checking.

Debug DirectX is great for pointing out issues for us developers, just don''t forget that you''re using it!

I am running Windows XP, and I am developing in DirectX 8.1. In my Control Panel, there is no "DirectX" item. Where can I find it?

I use WinXP pro at work, and that''s exactly where you find it. Perhaps you chose not to install debug drivers when you installed the SDK. I''m not sure if you get a control panel icon when using retail drivers.

With DX9, the SDK headers, and the Debug drivers are available as seperate downloads. Perhaps you didn''t download the debug drivers. Search the MS site to find them.

The DX Control icon won''t appear in the control panel under Windows XP (in some circumstances) unless you have "classic folders" enabled.

If you install the DX SDK, it defaults to installing the debug runtime. If you don''t install it then, just hit re-install, or run the install in the SDKDEV\ folder

Development Lead
Windows Graphics & Gaming Technology

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!