• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drek82

Project feasibility

This topic is 5731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey me and my partner are 4th year Computer Science majors. We need to build a senior project and both are very interested in creating a game. We have between now and mid-December to complete whatever project we decide on doing. We both know java very, very well, and I know C/C++ at a moderate level. I was wondering if you guys could give any ideas as to the feasibility of creating an FF3(US) type clone on the pc. Everything would be in 2d and creating a huge world is not a priority, the fact that the engine is there and everything is working is more than enough. We have another guy doing graphics(such as sprites and tiles) who is fairly well versed and has been doing graphics for quite some time. I''ve been researching the material and I am pretty sure we are capable of executing the project, it is just a matter of the time limit. I haven''t really been able to get a feeling of how long it would take from my research. So any ideas that you guys could give, as far as tips, hints, and how long something like this would take with two and a half guys working on it.

Advertisement
You are two people, with a third doing sprites, and you have fair knowledge of C++. I think this project would be a piece of cake (especially for CS majors).

Usually it's making all the content that takes a while, so you should be able to get an engine up and running in no time at all. Of course, that's assuming you don't slack off.

It shouldn't take you long to learn a graphics API in order to be able to do this. Go for it!

TIP: Be sure to program with extensibility in mind. i.e. leverage all the game logic and data into scripts and external files, and consider using a good scripting language like Lua or Python. For more impressiveness, you could just whip up your own language for this game.

[edited by - micepick on April 1, 2003 8:53:10 PM]

easiest api for 2d tile based games would have to be directx7, especially if you use the helper classes.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!