Differences in design: need to know - what's up with making a racing game?

Started by
1 comment, last by slippers2k 21 years ago
The impression of speed is one of the single most important aspects of a racing game. If you have it down, you can suck people into the game. But what is it about the specifics of imitating speed (especially on a 2d display, without kinetics to help you out) that makes Outrun be different from SF Rush, or TXR? I figure measurements and ratios have some importance (miles per hour have little significance on a board table with little cars). How do graphics factor in? Thanks for your feedback! -slippers2k Attack life''s problems like a Subaru... with all four wheels
Attack life's problems like a Subaru... with all four wheels
Advertisement
The other cars are what makes the speed. More crowded=more exciting. That said most of those rear outrun/chase HQ types all looked equal to me. For 2D overhead/iso 8 way scrollers are the key to getting a good speed effect I think.

Mark
Sound Effects For Game Developers
http://www.indiesfx.co.uk
A sensation of speed is always a problem on a monitor.

But, if you have good environment decor, you can get a good sensation of speed by having it zip by really fast.

A sense of scale is also important...if a player is travelling 300 mph it does no good if they traverse a supposedly 1 mile course in 10 minutes.

Moo.
Moo.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement