• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DGates

Please test on DX 8.1

This topic is 5652 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've been writing a program for a while now and have done everything with DX 9.0 SDK. Today I've had to switch all the DX interfaces to D3D 8 for compatability (this will be a demo I have to give probably not on my own machine). I would really appreciate if somebody who has the DX 8.1 runtime installed could test this out. I can't since I have DX 9 installed and don't feel like reinstalling Windows just now I would also really appreciate any performance stats you could give me to get an idea what I should recommend for system specs. In case you're wondering, the program is a simulation of emergent behaviour with schools of fish. You can check out the webpage (with screens) here. The download is also available there or directly linked from here. The install also has complete source code. When it installs, the README has info on the controls. Thanks to anyone who checks it out! Darryl Gates [edited by - DGates on April 2, 2003 4:43:27 AM]

Advertisement
Hi Darryl,

First Id like to congratulate you for this wonderful program, I reall love it. Its simple, beautiful and works perfectly on my machine

I have DX 8.1 installed on my system, I have a TBird 1.2 GHz with a GeForce 4 TI 4200, Im getting around 60 FPS in windowed mode and fullscreen mode (I tried 5 modes and I always get 55-60 FPS).

Id like to say htough that you should include an FPS limitation, because I love to see those fish, but I find they are pretty fast and I cant admire them enough

By the way, you may know it, but you can have both DX 8.1 and DX9 installed on a same system, so you could try that.

Again, Congratulations for your wonderful work.

Regards,
Sebastien RONSSE.

Nice job , Now , how are u related with Bill Gates ?
-Edit : Just askwing cause i'm curious -

[edited by - Joe Forhens on April 2, 2003 6:13:52 AM]

hi darryl. several coincidences here: a co-worker and i are working on a fish simulator as well. we''re using the same fish models as you. his name is darrell!

btw, your app worked fine on my dx8.1 box. fps was around 50 once the simulation was started.

if you''d like to give your fish some bend as they turn, we''d be happy to pass along our source code to you. our current test app is available here.

and feel free to drop me an email anytime. cheers and good work!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!