• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tibo

Prevent the user from task switching

This topic is 5561 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi fellas I''m currently working on an application which will be running during a demonstration. My goal is to make the user forget he is using a PC, to focus on the subject, and also prevent stupid guys to try ALT-TAB and CTRL-ALT-SUPPR combinations, so that the thing doesn''t end up in a mess (it is a fullscreen d3d application). Does anybody knows how to prevent such actions under MS Windows XP ? I have seen several articles (at Microsoft) and FAQs that looked like: Q: How do I disable task switching ? A: You don''t. Cool, isn''t it ? Any ideas ? Tibo

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by tibo
Any ideas ?

Yes. Don''t.

If you do, there are a number of ugly workarounds to try. I doubt there''s a reasonably non-messy way to prevent the alt-tab dialog from showing, but you can always create a WS_EX_TOPMOST main window.

To get rid of the Windows task bar, set the registry value
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\Shell
to the full path of your exe (works on Win2000 anyway).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!