• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruad

AI questions

This topic is 5652 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking for suggestions on how to make a good game AI, I have search like 20+ pages in this forum and nothing that was useful, if you know a good thread or website that has information I wouldn''t mind having it, but probable have I don''t post til I have done at least some searching. Going to be for a basic 2D FF style RPG game, going to be writen in C++, I know it pretty well just haven''t learned OOP as well as I would like. Mostly use it like it was just was just plain C, classes and too many pointers gives me headaches ) Mainly want it to where I don''t have to write a complete AI for every monster or NPC and want to able to make changes easly, I''m open to learning another language that might be better suited for this task but would prefer to stay in C++ cause I want to learn it before moving on to another language. I do know other langauges but I know they aren''t suited for the task, VB to slow, QBasic too old, Pascal but not because I am saying it is or isn''t good for this just don''t know enough of it to do anything with it. I do have some ideas on how to do it make classes and write info to a dat file, but I have very hard time trying to make it work. The book I have while good doesn''t cover the my situation and is way to old, it tells you how to write a video buff in assemble, make a ray cast engine and does it all in C not C++. Well that''s about it, hoping for lots of constructive posts, Ruad.

Advertisement
one good starting place is www.gameai.com
They have some links to info and tutorials that I found very helpful and useful.

Code-Junkie

Cod-Junkie: Thanks seems like what I was wanting but going to take some time to read it all

Mosnter AI should be pretty easy for an FF style game. I mean, you could even randomize possible actions (ie: attacking, magic using, item using, etc...) and call it AI. IF you want something more complex, have it cast a heal spell if its health decreases too much or something.

NPCs are a little different... you might want to look into some code for "wandering" AI. If they''re static, then it shouldn''t be too hard at all.

If you want the best way to code AI then thnk of each monster as a lifeform, independent. The functions in their class are like their senses or actuators. Make sure the monster can get what it needs to know to ''survive'', where the other monsters are, where the player is. Make sure that it can move, do things that affect itself.

Thinking classes as lifeforms can really help people getting to know OOP... and it''s often a useful AI tool too.

Mark
Sound Effects For Game Developers
http://www.indiesfx.co.uk

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!